Thursday, September 29, 2011

You Matter


The other day I saw this license plate and it reminded me that I matter. It made me feel special. It may seem like just a silly license plate but it made me realize that I do matter. Then just yesterday a friend sent me this TED talk. (Disclaimer: The d-word is used once) (Sorry if the video stops. You only need the audio.)


I watched it and realized that the words "You Matter" are very important. People want to know that they matter. They want to know that they are noticed and needed. And if you tell them they matter and are needed for big things then they will be encouraged to do the things they are needed for.

And I want to tell you that you matter but not only to me but to God. God cares for you and notices you. And he needs you. And the thing is he tells us this. The problem is that we don't know that he notices and needs us. But it's true! God tells us this in the Bible. He says...

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other."                John 15:16-18

He noticed us and choose us specifically! And he needs us! He needs us to bear his fruit and to love others. So no matter what happens you need to remember that God notices you and needs you! This makes me feel awesome. I can always go to the Bible to find out that I am noticed and needed by God. And his Word will always be true so no matter what happens he notices you and needs you. He wants you to know that you matter to him! Did you know that?

So I have a challenge for you today. Actually, I have two....

Challenge #1: Remind yourself daily that you matter to God. That he notices you and that you are needed by him! Maybe you should write John 15:16-18 on your mirror in dry erase marker so that you can read it every day and know that you matter to God. And don't only remind yourself that you matter but continue to live your life for God because he needs you to! He needs you to bear his fruit and love others. Which leads me to the next challenge...

Challenge #2: Remind someone else daily that they matter. That they are noticed and needed. First, just chose one person each day and then go out of your way to make sure they know that they matter. Maybe write on their Facebook wall and tell them you are thinking about them and how awesome they are and how they make you smile when they ________. Maybe if you notice them doing something nice tell them in person. It doesn't matter what you do just make sure they know that they noticed and needed. And make sure that they know they matter and are noticed and needed not only by you by but by God too. Maybe you could tell them you are praying for them to do the things God needs them to do for him (and actually pray for that).

Do you think you can do that? Do you accept these two challenges? I hope you do because I know that you can change the world (or at least someone's day) and I need you to accept these challenges.
By the way...YOU MATTER!
-Katey :)

1 comment:

  1. Katey,
    This is an awesome post! I added the same video to a blog post I did recently. I read about your post on Twitter by Mrs. TG. Thanks for sharing. You have inspired me again to tell my students YOU MATTER tomorrow.

    It sounds like you are having a great time, growing and sharing God's love!

    Blessings to you and yours,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete